Here are some of Hatties's favorites from her first two years of life! And when I say favorites, I mean played with every single day! For reference, she turned two at the beginning of October, and she still plays with everything listed below with the exception of the first two baby toys.
I'm a big fan of purchasing toys that she will grow into or will last for years to come, and my favorite gift to give is an experience. Think: passes to local attractions, tickets to events, subscription boxes, or just a day out on the town exploring your city and doing things you don't usually do!
If you're local to KC, here are some of our favorites: Deanna Rose, Wonderscope, Science City, and SEA LIFE then lunch at Fritz's. We also have a zoo pass, and frequently visit to ride the train and have a picnic.
- Manhattan Toy Wimmer-Ferguson Crinkle Tiger- perfect for little babies
- Sassy Tummy Time Floor Mirror- this got so much use her first year!
- Fat Brain Toys Whirly Squigz, pipSquigz, and Suction Kupz- Hattie received these as a gift for her first Christmas when she was 2 months old from our cousin who is an OT, and we were using them within a few months! Hattie specifically loved watching the whirly squigz when she was little, and we still play with them!
- She also got this Fisher-Price Laugh & Learn Sing & Learn Music Player from my aunt for her first Christmas and it was by far her favorite toy her first year of life. As was this book, Good Morning, Good Night! A touch and feel bedtime book, also from my aunt!
- The OG stacking cups were also played with daily and are still on rotation!
- Fat Brain Toys Original Dimpl- We kept this in her drawer and always gave it to her while we were changing her diaper! She still asks for it, and my 3-5-year-olds at church love popper toys, too!
- Melissa & Doug Instrument Set- She got this when she was 6 months old and she's been playing with it ever since!
- We did A LOT of reading and loved Sandra Boyton books– specifically Dinosaur Dance, Moo Baa La La La, Happy Hippo, Angry Duck, and But Not the Armadillo.
- Other books we loved: Dear Zoo, First 100 Words, The Pout Pout Fish, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, and, of course, Goodnight Moon.
- Hattie's grandma made this I See Me book for her for Valentine's Day, and we read it every single night up until a few months ago! I've personally gifted I See Me books– they're always a hit!
- Melissa & Doug Poke-a-dot books– we have this one, but there are so many to choose from! Hattie loves it!
- Melissa and Doug cleaning set– Hattie loves to clean. We often joke that we have ruined her because she is always cleaning with this set, picking up, or letting us know if something is dirty!
- Melissa and Doug Ice Cream Counter
- Melissa and Doug Stroller– that Hattie likes to ride in! She's lucky she's a petite little thing!
- Little People dollhouse and the princess castle which they no longer make! I had to buy it second-hand off of Facebook marketplace! It is darling!
- Melissa & Doug Take-Along Show-Horse Stable
- LeapFrog My Own Leaptop
- Build your own indoor garden (STEM toy)- Hattie's auntie sent this to her and ALL of us love playing with it!
- Jake and I installed a DIY magnet chalkboard in Hattie's playroom, so she plays with that a lot! We love these letter and number magnets, these animal magnets, and these princess magnets from (surprise, surprise!) Melissa and Doug!
- I LOVE THIS LITTLE PEOPLE NATIVITY SET! I wanted to get it for Hattie last year but waited too long and it was hard to find. We celebrated Christmas in July with my in-laws, and I was so excited when my mother-in-law got it for Hattie! It is darling, and we play with it every single day. I use it a lot when we are doing Hattie's Advent Calendar, and think it would make the perfect first Christmas present for even the tiniest of babes!
Meredith Maag Photography is a Kansas City newborn photographer and specializes in maternity, newborn, baby, and family photography in the Kansas City area, including Mission, Westwood, Brookside, Waldo, Country Club Plaza, Crossroads, Westport, Overland Park, Lee’s Summit, Prairie Village, Leawood, Independence, Lenexa, Olathe, and The Northland.
Meredith has a passion for connecting and helping moms through community, support, friendship, and kindness. In addition to using her blog to showcase glimpses and full sessions, she also enjoys writing and sharing products she loves. Some posts may contain affiliate links.
I am so happy you are here and would love to tell you more about a Kansas City newborn photography session! From wardrobe to the delivery of your fine art products, I’ve thought through every detail, making the entire experience enjoyable and stress-free.
If you are interested in a custom portrait session with Meredith Maag Photography and would like more information, please click here to see the experience.
Clients invest $2,550+ on their full portrait experience. Click here for additional investment details.
Sessions are currently booking well into 2022. To ensure availability, please reserve your date early!