Does anyone else feel like January lasted 20 months? Just us? And now we possibly have 14 inches of snow coming our way! So, I know I'm not the only toddler mom in Kansas City wondering what to do with my child for another cold winter month!
Of course, there are the obvious– Wonderscope, Science City and Union Station, The Plaza Library, The Nelson... All of which we absolutely love! But, if you're like us, you need a change of scenery from your usual hangs. I got you, mama!
Before I get to my list, I recently visited The Foundry Church's coffee shop and community center, and, you guys! It was AWESOME! They have a cute little coffee shop with pastries at very fair prices and the community center is completely free. There is a play area for kids 5 and under, and a huge gym with more than enough space for them to run all of their energy out!
Another great option that many don't know about is Gymnastics Open Gym at Fairway City Hall. They hold this in their multipurpose room on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Thursdays from 10:00am-12:00pm. It is only $2 and one adult is included with each child. Pre-registration is required because they only allow 10 children and their caretakers in during each timeslot.
February Fun– Kansas City style!
- Get some friends together and order a Puppygram from the Great Plains SPCA! I mean, what is better than puppies delivered to your door to play with and snuggle? Prices start at $125 for 15 minutes of puppy time and all proceeds benefit the shelter pets at Great Plains SPCA. Puppy grams run the entire month of February, and the volunteers bring everything you need– including clean-up supplies!
- On the first Monday of each month, the Johnson County Museum hosts "Sensory Friendly Mondays" where they make changes to the exhibits to help make the museum friendly for children with sensory processing differences and Autism Spectrum Disorders. However, everyone is welcome. Isn't that amazing? The date for February is Monday the 7th! $4/guest.
- Every Monday and Wednesday from 9:30-11:30a, Summit Lanes hosts "Mom and Me" bumper bowling for just $3 per person which includes a game, shoe rental, and drink.
- Every Wednesday from 5-8 is family night at the Lenexa Public Market. Families enjoy free activities from balloon artists to games. Kids get a free 6" pizza at Topp'd Pizza + Salads when parents purchase a small pizza.
- Every Thursday from 10:30 to 11:20a, Create Space KC invites preschool-aged kids tofor Kids Storytime Yoga. Pre-registration is required and the cost is $15 for a drop in class or $50 for 4 classes.
- Every Thursday from 10a-2p, Ceramic Cafe hosts Toddler Time for children ages 5 and under. For $10, they get to paint one of the cafe's selected items.
- Every Friday at 10:30a, Ceramic Cafe offers a fun story and paint time geared toward preschool-aged children where they read a book, have a snack, and paint a ceramic piece that goes along with the book! The cost is $15/child.
- Every Saturday and Sunday from 1-4p, the Nelson-Atkins Museum of art hosts free "Discover and Decorate" where they offer creative activities and gallery explorations for all children of all ages.
- Meadowbrook Park is hosting "Cuter than Cupid" on Valentine's Day from 10:30-11:30a. This event is for children ages 2-5 and their caretakers to enjoy crafts and treats. The cost is $7 per child or $8 for non-JoCo residents.
- From Feb 12-May 1, Crown Center's Animal Tales and Trails exhibit opens in the Crown Center Shops. This exhibit will allow children to experience what it's like to prowl in a wild animal's world and is open Monday-Saturday from 10a-6p and on Sunday from 12-5p.
- The Music House School of Music offers a free music lesson week starting on February 21st! If you have children 4 or older, this is an amazing opportunity!
Meredith Maag Photography is a Kansas City newborn photographer and specializes in maternity, newborn, baby, and family photography in the Kansas City area, including Mission, Westwood, Brookside, Waldo, Country Club Plaza, Crossroads, Westport, Overland Park, Lee’s Summit, Prairie Village, Leawood, Independence, Lenexa, Olathe, and The Northland.
Meredith has a passion for connecting and helping moms through community, support, friendship, and kindness. In addition to using her blog to showcase glimpses and full sessions, she also enjoys writing and sharing products she loves. Some posts may contain affiliate links.
I am so happy you are here and would love to tell you more about a Kansas City newborn photography session! From wardrobe to the delivery of your fine art products, I’ve thought through every detail, making the entire experience enjoyable and stress-free.
If you are interested in a custom portrait session with Meredith Maag Photography and would like more information, please click here to see the experience.
Clients invest $2,550+ on their full portrait experience. Click here for additional investment details.
Sessions are currently booking well into 2022. To ensure availability, please reserve your date early!