As autumn graces Kansas City, the allure of family portraits amidst the backdrop of this vibrant season is simply irresistible. Whether you're nestled in the heart of our city or venturing through its scenic countryside, the vivid foliage, crisp air, and cozy atmosphere create the perfect stage for crafting profoundly heartwarming portraits with your cherished loved ones.
As a professional photographer, I empathize with the whirlwind of emotions that comes with planning family photos, particularly when your little ones are in tow. The daunting task of coordinating outfits, managing your children's unpredictable moods, and carving out a precious moment in our bustling lives often relegates family portraits to the bottom of our never-ending to-do lists. It's only when the opportunity fades away that we realize the missed chance to encapsulate the warmth and love within our family during this special season of life.
Here are my top 5 tips for a successful fall family photo session:
- Timing is Everything: When young children are involved, timing is critical. Schedule your session during a time when they are well-rested, content, and brimming with positive energy. Avoid the pitfalls of naptimes, mealtimes, or the notorious "witching hours."
- Dress for the Occasion: Your family's attire can transform your portraits into timeless keepsakes. Coordinate outfits using a color palette that mirrors the aesthetics of your home, seamlessly blending your portraits with your living space. Don't shy away from selecting 1-3 colors and adding depth through varying fabric patterns or sumptuous textiles like chunky knits, wool, and velvet.
- Engage Playfulness and Joy: Embrace the magic of spontaneity and authenticity. Seek out a photographer who encourages unscripted interactions and playful moments. Let your family's laughter, curiosity, and sheer delight unfold naturally before the lens. These candid snapshots often become cherished memories and radiate the authentic, heartwarming essence of your beautiful family.
- Relax: Children are remarkably perceptive when it comes to our emotions. Whether we realize it or not, they pick up on our stress levels. When you approach the session with a sense of calm and genuine enthusiasm, your children will respond in kind. The result? A more positive and enjoyable experience for everyone.
- Cherish Imperfect Perfection & Just Keep Smiling: Brace yourself for the adventure of navigating a family photoshoot with young children. Prepare both yourself and your spouse for the unexpected, knowing that amidst the delightful chaos lie the most precious treasures—the spontaneous giggles, those endearingly shy smiles, and yes, even the occasional frowns. When your little ones act up or restlessness sets in, pivot, summon your patience, infuse the atmosphere with warmth and humor, and, above all, maintain those radiant smiles. These beautifully imperfect moments will etch themselves into your heart, becoming cherished memories that encapsulate the very essence of your extraordinary family.
Remember, family photography is a heartfelt celebration of the love that binds you together, offering an authentic reflection of your life during this remarkable, albeit sometimes chaotic, season of life. With these tips, you'll not only capture stunning images but also create lasting memories, brimming with the warmth and affection that tells your family's unique story.
If you haven't already scheduled your fall family photos, I'm thrilled to invite you to join my fall petite session event on Friday, October 20th, and Saturday, October 21st! As both a mom and photographer, I am passionate about providing a stress-free and fun-filled experience for all my clients and would love to share more information with you!
To inquire, please contact me directly at email@example.com
Are you looking for the best newborn photographer in Kansas City to capture those special moments of your growing family? Look no further than Meredith Maag Photography!
Located in the Brookside neighborhood, Meredith offers luxury studio and lifestyle sessions to take the hassle out of newborn photos. All newborn sessions are completely baby-led and laid back, utilizing timeless wardrobe and posing techniques to create stunning results.
With such detail and planning going into each session, Meredith only takes a maximum of 8 sessions per month - so be sure to book early as most clients book their photoshoots months in advance.
Use the link below to contact Meredith and reserve your date!