I know Elf on the Shelf isn't everyone's jam– so for those of you who are less than excited, fresh out of ideas, or just looking for new and EASY ideas, this is for you!
Here was my criteria when brainstorming this list:
- Easy- everything can be done in 5 minutes or less
- Accessible- MOST of these items we always have at our house. The only thing I had to buy were the streamers and eventually the helium balloon.
Streamers, TP, regular balloons, helium balloon, popcorn, red paper or pompoms for elf hats or Rudolph noses, candy canes, yarn/ribbon/twine, oatmeal and glitter.
- Set a reminder to get in the routine of moving your Elf as soon as your child goes to bed.
- Remember that the only true goal is to move the Elf, so give yourself some grace if you don't feel like doing something creative with it every single night!
- Streamers on bedroom door
- Elf paints/draws a picture
- Stuck to the mirror/wall with bandaids/tape
- Elf makes a snowman out of 3 rolls of TP
- Elf swings from the ceiling fan/door frame on an empty TP roll
- Elf draws faces on bananas/eggs with Sharpie
- Elf rides a horse/car/train/toy/etc.
- On bath night, Elf fills the bathtub with balloons
- sELFie on Polaroid camera/parent's phone/tablet
- Elf is stuck in a whisk (this will be for our cookie making day!)
- Elf lays out pencil/paper for child to write letter to Santa
- Elf TPs the tree
- Hangs upside down from blinds
- Tied to a helium balloon
- Elf sits in popcorn bowl (this will be for our family movie night)
- Elf makes a snow angel out of sprinkles/sugar/etc.
- Elf tapes Elf hats on our family picture or could use red pompoms on noses
- Elf adventure day in container
- Elf ziplines to Christmas tree
- Elf hides a certain number of something (candy canes) and child has to find them.
- Elf takes a bath in marshmallows
- Elf leaves a message on the mirror
- Elf hangs from linked candy canes
- Elf leaves supplies for reindeer food (oatmeal and glitter)
Other easy ideas: Elf plays with child's toy(s), snow ball fight with cotton balls/marshmallows, tea party, hanging on Christmas tree/house plants/light/cupboards/stockings/etc., reading a book, goes fishing with goldfish crackers, makes paper snowflakes.
I hope this list makes your holiday season a bit easier and brings some joy back to this fun tradition!
Meredith Maag Photography specializes in newborn, maternity, motherhood, family, and baby sessions in the Kansas City area, including Mission, Westwood, Brookside, Waldo, Country Club Plaza, Crossroads, Westport, Overland Park, Lee’s Summit, Prairie Village, Leawood, Independence, Lenexa, Olathe, and The Northland.
I am so happy you are here and would love to tell you more about a family photography session! From wardrobe to the delivery of your fine art products, I’ve thought through every detail, making the entire experience enjoyable. If you are interested in a custom portrait session with Meredith Maag Photography and would like more information, please click here to see the experience.
Clients invest $2,550+ on their full portrait experience. Click here for additional investment details.
If you would like to schedule a complimentary consultation, receive detailed information, or reserve your date, please click the contact button below or email me directly at email@example.com
Sessions are currently booking into 2022.
To ensure availability, please reserve your date early.
View other full sessions and glimpses on my blog!